In the heart of the winter months, nothing is better than snuggling up on the couch with a warm blanket, some cocoa, and you video streaming services. I was looking for something different, something I hadn’t watched or reviewed before. Whilst surfing through my streaming resources, I found an old classic from my younger days, Godzilla!! So I prepped my self for some really bad English over dubbing and queued up the movie, Godzilla’s Revenge. This one, as I read more about it, tends to regarded as the worst Godzilla movie ever made. Well, we can be the judge of that.
Streaming on: Hulu+
Directed by: Ishiro Honda
Starring: Kenji Sahara, Tomonori Yazaki
Number of high pitched monster growls: 50
A young boy name Ichiro has dreams that help him escape from his own reality and into one on Monster Island. This is his way of coping with his dull home life and neighborhood bullies. Monster Island is ruled by Godzilla and in his dreams, Ichiro becomes friends with Godzilla’s son, Minya, who learns how to be brave himself with the help of his father, Godzilla, as they battle with the monster Gabara.
Things you won’t want to miss:
- Interesting monster compilation to start the title sequence.
- Japanese children bully by jumping up and down and making funny faces at each other. Those retched souls.
- Hey, Ichiro, nice shorty shorts.
- Miniature computer for children? I suppose back then that was considered miniature. The tiger logo means it’s for kids.
- Ichiro has one mean growl, either that or he is very constipated.
- Godzilla body slamming a large praying mantis looking thing with ease, like Hulk Hogan bodyslamming Andre the Giant.
- Monster Island is like a Jurassic Park gone wrong.
- Minya must be the early 70′s version of Barney the Dinosaur.
- How convenient, the bully and the bad monster have the same name. Ahhh I see the connection that the filmmakers wanted us to make. Clever, clever.
- Little boys shouldn’t hump the grill of a car, especially one that’s being sold.
- Godzilla must be a really good soccer player.
- Baby Godzilla looks more like a Sid and Marty Kroft character, and why the hell can it talk? And why do I remember Godzilla’s kid being named Godzooki? Was that a Scooby Doo episode or am I just dreaming?
- Young monsters shouldn’t smoke, all they can do is make smoke rings/plus it stunts their growth.
- Are there any monsters on Monster Island that get a long with each other?
- Planes that have very bad aim are easy to swat down.
- Did you know that stepping on a lizards tail makes them breath fire?
- Uh oh, be careful, the red mohawk is glowing, what a shocker!!
- Apparently child abuse is allowed on the Monster Island.
- Monster catapult – Score about a 3.5 on the landing. The Russian judge is tough.
- Anyone else think that Ichiro is a dead ringer for the kid named Russell in the movie Up?
- The criminals in this movie must be some of the most clumsy people ever.
- Slow/stop motion kid fight that looks more like a forbidden dance than anything.
- That a boy Ichiro make friends with the bullies by being one. Real smart thinking.
“No I wasn’t, I had a frat tire and the spare wasn’t even there.”
“Godzilla says that we have to fight our own battles and not be cowards.”
“Hey that car looks familiar; hey it’s my car.”
First of all let me say that I watched several Godzilla movies growing up. I don’t remember all the names of them, but I distinctly remember that awful growling noise that he always made.I was hoping as the title sequence rolled through, that we would have the opportunity to see all the monsters that were featured. Apparently, this movie was clipped together from pieces and parts of other Godzilla movies. And let me just get this out of the way, I hated…hated the Minya character. And with a passion too. All I could think about was Sigmund the Sea Monster when it was on the screen. I t moved exactly the same and had almost exactly the same voice. Oh yeah, and did I mentioned that it talked. Stupid. The music was exactly what you’d expect from an early 80′s movie. The acting wasn’t all that bad, but everyone had to work with such a cheesy script to begin with. I was never a huge Godzilla fan, so the lore of Godzilla escapes me. The three bipedal monsters were obviously people in costume, in fact I could have sworn that I saw the Godzilla head piece life up at least once. This film would be worth it just to watch only once if you were in to Godzilla. It doesn’t deserve any more than one viewing however. With that said, I give this film a rating of 2.5 turds, I would say it’s about middle of the road as far as terrible goes.